Last Wednesday we finally received some welcomed news. Hawaii’s Governor, during his news conference at the Honolulu Airport announced that Hawaii is going to open to domestic and international travelers beginning August 1, 2020 with restrictions. Due to the efforts of many people, including those of you who postponed trips to Hawaii, and our fellow residents who abided by the earlier “Stay At Home” quarantine restrictions. Hawaii now gets to begin the process of re-opening the state to visitors.
Reopening Hawaii begins Saturday August 1, Travelers to Hawaii who have a valid negative COVID-19 polymerise chain reaction (PCR) test from a Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) certified laboratory prior to arriving at a Hawaii airport will not be subject to the state’s mandatory 14-day quarantine. This test result must be confirmed prior to arrival and the traveler must present evidence of this test upon arrival. Travelers are responsible for the cost of the pre-travel testing.
We have all sacrificed to reach this point allowing the re-opening of travel and it is essential that we continue being vigilant. This process is going to allow visitors to return to Hawaii and to continue protect the health and safety of our communities. It needs to be a continued focus and priority.
Pre-Travel Testing Program for Out-of-State Travelers Beginning August 1
- Beginning August 1, travelers arriving in Hawaii must have and bring proof of a Negative COVID-19 Test from an FDA certified laboratory to not be subjected to a mandatory 14-day quarantine. Be sure to bring proof of the Negative Test Results.
- No testing will be provided upon arrival at the Airports in Hawaii.
- The 14-day quarantine will remain in place for those who do not get pre-tested. If quarantine is refused, travelers will be able to make arrangements to depart Hawaii immediately. Departure from the airport is not permitted.
- Temperature checks will also continue at the airports across the state. Anyone with a temperature higher than 100.4 degrees or is experiencing other symptoms will be required to undergo secondary screening at the airport by healthcare staff.
- Travelers will be required to complete the State Travel and Health Declaration forms upon arrival.
- Everyone will be required to wear face masks in Hawaii airports and businesses while staying in Hawaii.
- It will be much better to travel into Hawaii with your pre-travel Negative COVID-19 test than face the 14-day quarantine. The quarantines are stringent. There are only few locations in Hawaii that are conducting the quarantines. Travelers are not allowed to leave their rooms, except for seeking medical care or to go to the airport to depart the island. Food is delivers to your door for the full 14-day period, and the costs are the responsibility of the traveler. Adherence is closely monitored, and violators are prosecuted ($5,000.00 and or a year in Jail).
- Further Details are forthcoming; The timeframe of how far in advance a test can be taken, from what age children will need to be tested, how long the pre-arrival testing requirement and 14-day quarantine process will be in effect, whether this applies to only travel from mainland U.S. or does it apply to travelers from other countries, and how this effects returning residents.
We will continue to update this information as is gets closer to August 1. Additional Information about the entrance and quarantine process from Hawaii’s Department of Transportation Website. As of July 13, 2020 Governor Ige has announced that the plan to allow domestic visitors arrival with a COVID Negative test, “The state will now delay by at least a month the planned Aug. 1 reopening of Hawaii’s tourism industry with a traveler pre-testing program to at least September 1”. http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/07/13/governor-says-he-plans-extend-day-quarantine-all-trans-pacific-travelers-through-august/. This means that all individuals arriving to Hawaii will be subjected to a 14-day quarantine.
Once the reopening of Hawaii begins our Vacation Rental in Poipu will be “Vacation Ready.” We have implemented enhanced cleaning protocols for our guests health & safety. To view more about our Poipu Vacation Home and to check on our rates or to make a reservation for your trip to Kauai.